The Advantages Of Epoxy Flooring
If you’ve been considering new flooring materials, epoxy might be a good choice. Many people might not be aware of what epoxy is, but it does stand out among the other options available (e.g. concrete or tiling). Epoxy flooring combines durability, sustainability, and customizability to give you a high-quality flooring that can last for years to come.
What is Epoxy Flooring?
At its most basic, epoxy refers to a mix of a resin and a hardening chemical. The most straightforward definition of epoxy flooring refers to a flooring surface made of several layers applied to a floor at least two millimetres deep. Mixing the resin and hardening agent turns the mixture into a hard plastic over a few days. Before it hardens, the mixture is poured onto a concrete floor and allowed to set. As each layer hardens, another layer is poured on it until finished.
Types of Epoxy Floors
There are several types of epoxy floor choices for you, depending on your needs. It can help to know about some of the more common options available to help you choose the right epoxy flooring for you. Some of the most common include:
- Self-levelling – Self-levelling epoxy is typically applied over old and broken concrete floors to make the surface smooth and level again. Since it’s an epoxy surface, this also makes the floor more durable in the future. Self-levelling systems also come in a variety of colours. Whether you’re looking to decorate your flooring or you need to highlight traffic patterns and work zones, this is an excellent option for you.
- Epoxy mortar – Epoxy mortar systems are the most robust systems available. The flooring is usually made 100% solids epoxy and mixed in with graded or quartz sand. This system is typically impact- and chemical-resistant, making it a good pick for places where heavy equipment is used (e.g. warehouse, service area, and garage flooring).
- Quartz-filled – Quartz-filled epoxy floors mix in coloured quartz grains with a high-performance epoxy resin. This results in a multifunctional floor that’s durable, slip-resistant, and decorative.
- Anti-static – Anti-static epoxy flooring helps reduce static hazards that could be dangerous on the job. This system includes a conductive material that gathers static electricity to dissipate potentially hazardous discharges. This is a highly recommended system for environments with flammable materials.
- Epoxy flake– Flake floor systems are another excellent choice if you’re looking for a striking design. Coloured chips and shavings are mixed in with the epoxy to make aesthetically-pleasing designs you can use to make your interiors more visually stunning. The slightly rough surface also helps reduce slips and falls, making the floor safer as well.
Benefits of Epoxy Flooring
Epoxy flooring provides plenty of benefits aside from giving you attractive and exciting designs for your floors. These systems are quite functional and offer many advantages that make them a wise investment. Some of the benefits you can expect from installing epoxy flooring include:
- Affordability – Epoxy flooring can be a wise investment, given how cost-effective it is. The costs of installing epoxy flooring can vary depending on location, but it’s generally more affordable than the alternatives. Other flooring options can be far more costly, especially if you go with an option that requires your current flooring material to be removed. Epoxy can be installed over existing flooring, especially concrete, making it less cost- and labour-intensive. Epoxy can also be installed within a few days, which can mean less downtime and a smaller impact on productivity. Given that epoxy flooring can last a long time, your floor is an investment that can last for years to come with the right care.
Low-maintenance – Epoxy systems tend to be low-maintenance and easy to clean. One issue with typical concrete flooring is that it’s porous and easy to stain. In contrast, epoxy flooring has much simpler upkeep. The epoxy coating creates a surface that keeps out dust and liquids. Sweeping and mopping are made considerably more straightforward. If you need to do more substantial cleaning, epoxy also resists scratching. That said, refrain from using acidic products for cleaning to avoid dulling the surface.
- Durable – Epoxy flooring tends to have a longer lifespan than most other flooring materials. Concrete can last just as long, but it needs to be properly sealed and maintained to avoid taking damage. With the right care, epoxy systems can last for years, allowing you to enjoy your flooring without worrying about replacement.
- Safe – Epoxy flooring can be used to make fire-, slip-, and heat-resistant flooring to give your interior more protection. Additives can be added to the mixture to make the smooth surface more stability. Because it’s so durable, epoxy flooring is also impact-resistant, preventing the formation of damage and abrasions that could present tripping hazards. Epoxy flooring is shiny and reflective, increasing visibility indoors and helping prevent accidents.
- Resistant – Epoxy floors are resistant to all kinds of chemicals that could cause corrosion (e.g. oil, gasoline, cleaning fluid). This makes installing epoxy flooring a wise idea for locations that deal with chemicals regularly, like garages. Installing an epoxy system would protect your floor from most chemical spills without damaging the coating. Epoxy is also water-resistant, which can help prevent water damage and improve the lifespan of your floor. It also resists bacteria and germs, making your floor easier to sanitize.
Convenient – Epoxy flooring is relatively quick and easy to install. Since it takes less time for the epoxy to cure, it can be installed faster than most other methods and lead to less downtime. Give it a few days, and your business can get back to work in less time, allowing you to minimize unproductivity. The durability of epoxy solutions also means less wear and tear on the floor, allowing you to continue working when you might otherwise need to repair the floor.
- Customizable – Many people may consider epoxy floors shiny and glossy. They are, but there are plenty of options to allow you to customize your floor as you see fit. For example, you have the option of adding some colour to your floors to spice up your interior. Alternatively, you can arrange the flooring into different patterns or designs. If you’re going with a specific theme for the space, there’s a colour to suit your preferences. With all the choices available, think of it as a convenient way to upgrade the look of your floor and improve the atmosphere of the interior.
When you need reliable, high-quality flooring done, give Concrete Epoxy 101 a call. We offer our clients precisely measured, even floors that can also spice up your interior space. We provide our clients with excellent flooring options that will last for years to come. Drop us a line at (416) 838-5188 or visit our contact page now for a free quote.
Related article: Why Epoxy Flooring is a Smart Choice