Polished Concrete Floors: Great for Offices
The choice of workplace flooring has a direct impact on the aesthetic, functionality, and level of comfort of the space. Polished concrete floors are affordable, durable, and easy to clean. Rather than constantly replacing stained carpeting (and dealing with the dust and moisture problems it can create) consider the sleek, professional look of a polished or epoxy floor.
What is Polished Concrete Flooring
This type of floor is created by grinding the concrete base (similar to sanding wood) with fine-grit diamond blades to smooth and give the surface a level of sheen. Then, the concrete is treated with a densifier to fill any holes. The fineness and smoothness of the concrete surface depend largely on the level of grit used.
Polishing the concrete surface eliminates the need for special coatings or waxes. It also takes away the time, labour, and cost to apply them. Although popularly known for its glossy surface, a polished concrete floor is safer and 40 percent less slippery than other types of flooring (including polished marble, hardwood, and waxed linoleum).
Polished Concrete Appeal
Because of its minimalistic vibe, polished concrete always works well with various architecture and design concepts. The clean, polished surface gives a variety of spaces ambience and character.
Additionally, polished concrete floors are considered a “green” flooring solution because of its sustainability. Most every building’s floors have an existing concrete foundation slab. Polishing can be done relatively quickly, which means less downtime and disruption for any business. It’s a safe and environmentally-friendly option, especially because concrete floors don’t require toxic chemical applications (e.g. adhesives/coatings).
Polished concrete does not use harmful chemicals that emit volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Benefits of Polished Concretes in Office Spaces.
Make a worthwhile investment that saves money over the years. While there are other types of flooring material options (e.g. marble, granite, tile) polished concrete floors are superior for a number of reasons:
- Durability – Polished concrete is made of hard-wearing, durable material. It’s damage-resistant and can withstand heavy foot traffic. With proper care and maintenance, these floors can last for over 100 years! The grinding process prevents premature damage, and makes the surface look beautiful.
- Cost-Efficiency – By using an already-present concrete floor and maximizing its look and function, you avoid the need for new materials. Instead of constantly repairing or replacing your floor, you can invest your business expenses on other, more necessary renovations.
- Low Maintenance – Polished concrete doesn’t require any wax or coating applications. Once polished and sealed, it does not take too much effort to maintain its pristine appearance. Cleaning is a breeze.
- Aesthetic Appeal – A polished concrete floor looks great because of its smooth, glossy, and seam-free surface. You also have the choice among a wide variety of colours and designs.Your finish can range from satin to high gloss. Talk with your concrete and epoxy team to find out how to best achieve the appearance you want.
- Easy to Clean – With both workers and guests walking around your space, keeping the environment clean at all times is crucial to both your brand appearance and the health of your team (especially those with dust allergies). Polished concrete can be mopped easily, using only water. Its surface is highly resistant to allergens, dirt, and fine particles.
Customizing Your Polished Concrete Floor
Polished concrete floors have a number of design options to enhance their appearance. Unique surfaces can be created by mixing dye or stain to add colour, epoxy flooring offers the possibility of adding coins, broken glass, or other accoutrements under the smooth surface. Patterns can also be created with stencils and saw cuts.
Here are some ways to improve the aesthetic appeal of your office space:
- Stains and Dyes – The standard-grade grey polished concrete may not always work well in an office setting. Inject colour into your flooring with stain and/or dye. Talk to designers about how to amplify the look of your space and make the floors complement the walls and other decor decisions.
- Score, Radial Lines, or Grid – Any shape, pattern, or design can be integrated into a concrete surface. Geometric shapes and designs can enhance any office space.
- Retrofitted – Polished concrete can be retrofitted by cutting or sanding an existing concrete slab. You can also place a 50-mm thick polished concrete slab over existing concrete.
- Borders – Adding border designs on your polished concrete flooring can help enhance aesthetics. It’s a nice, final, finishing touch, adding sophisticated details and stylistic lines onto the flooring.
Cleaning and Maintenance Tips
Decorative polished concrete flooring gives a workspace an attractive and brilliant shine. To maintain gloss and increase the surface’s lifespan, you need to do a bit beyond weekly sweeping and mopping.
Here are some polished concrete cleaning and maintenance tips:
- Place entrance mats both inside and outside of every entrance and encourage your staff and visitors to wipe their shoes. This keeps dirt and grime outside. It also protects the floor from abrasive particles that scratch the surface.
- At the end of each day, clean using a microfiber dust mop to remove dust and grime that can diminish the floor’s shine.
- If you’re using anything other than plain water, add a pH neutral soap when mopping. Mix it with a bucket of warm, clean water and mop the floor properly. Change the water solution frequently and rinse the mop well. Avoid using detergent soap, bleach, or any solution containing vinegar or citrus. They all can dull or etch the surface of the concrete. Dry the floor using a clean, white cloth.
- Wipe any stains or spills to prevent them from seeping into the floor.
Polished concrete does not use h
Concrete floors are great for work spaces — be they restaurants or offices! Talk to a professional concrete floor polishing company to discuss the affordable options available to improve the look of your building.
If you think that it is time to change an outdated and dull office floor, call the pros. Concrete Epoxy 101 provides superior concrete polishing services for Toronto clients. Call us at (416) 838-5188 to request a free quote.
Related article: Kid-Proof Flooring: Polished Concrete Is a Great Choice!