Care and Maintenance for Concrete Epoxy Floors
When it comes to commercial and industrial facilities, epoxy applied to concrete is great, durable option. An epoxy floor coating can create a high performance and smooth surface that lasts for years. Epoxy floors can withstand heavy loads. However, they require proper care and maintenance to preserve their appearance and extend their life.
Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Sweep Daily – Use a mechanical sweeper or soft-bristled broom to remove dirt and foreign objects and prevent potential safety hazards. Daily sweeping does not only help clean the floor — it also extends its longevity.
- Mop Weekly – Wash the floor with a soft dust mop once a week to get rid of remaining dirt. Use a soft-bristled mechanical floor scrubber to prevent scratches and maintain the floor’s shiny appearance.
- Clean Spills Immediately – Spills (oil, chemical, and water) that sit too long aren’t only a safety hazard — they can damage the floor surface. Use a soft, clean cloth to wipe off the substance. You can also use a gentle cleaner, like Windex, to remove sticky film from the floor.
- Remove Stains Immediately – Although epoxy floors are less likely to have permanent marks, clean any stain right away to prevent it from setting in the floor surface. Refer to the manufacturer instructions to treat stains to avoid damage.
- Keep Sharp Objects Away – Most high performance epoxy floors are resistant to scratches and punctures. However, occasional scratches and cracks can harm the surface. Avoid dragging rough or sharp objects (or heavy equipment) across the floor. Use a hand truck or dolly to transport sharp or heavy items.
- Do a Deep Clean 4x a Year – Keep epoxy floors in good condition by performing a quarterly deep cleaning. Use non-toxic and biodegradable fluid like Simple Green or ammonia. Mix ½ cup of one of those cleansers with one gallon of hot water. Soak a hard foam mop into the solution and thoroughly clean the entire surface. Fill a bucket with clean, warm water to rinse off the solution using the mop. Dry the floor with a soft, clean towel.
These simple care tips keep the floor performing at its best and maintain appearance and longevity. While most epoxy floors are durable and designed to last for years, they are not indestructible.
If your polished concrete floor in Toronto sustains damage, call Concrete Epoxy 101 at (416) 838-5188. We can repair epoxy coated floors and transform plain concrete. Our team of specialists can provide advice on flooring upkeep and maintenance.